KHO KI PA LÚ – UP DOWN & SIDEWAYS
Anushka Meenakshi, Iswar Srikumar | Indien 2017 | 83 Min. | OmeU
Das Dorf Phek in Nagaland an der Grenze zwischen Indien und Myanmar ist die Heimat von rund 5.000 Menschen, die vom Reisanbau leben. Getragen von Liedern und den Erzählungen der DorfbewohnerInnen folgt der Film der kooperativen Gruppenarbeit bei der Vorbereitung der Terrassenfelder, der Pflanzung von Setzlingen und dem Abtransport der Ernte über steile Berghänge. Up Down & Sideways ist ein bildgewaltiges und musikalisches Portrait einer Gemeinschaft von Reisbauern und ihren Erinnerungen an Liebe und Verlust, die in der Zusammenarbeit auf den Feldern besungen werden.
Anushka Meenakshi has worked as a filmmaker, and a community video trainer. Iswar Srikumar is an actor and a lighting/sound designer for theatre. Iswar and Anushka are both members of Perch, a performance collective in Chennai comprising of artists from various disciplines. In 2011, they started the u-ra-mi-li project (the song of our people), which focuses on stories about music in the everyday, through writing, photograph, performance and film. The u-ra-mi-li project has received support for its work from the India Foundation for the Arts, pad.ma, the Archive and Research Centre for Ethnomusicology and has been selected for the NFDC Film Bazaar WIP Lab (2014) and Docedge Kolkata (2015). We have been commissioned by National Centre for Performing Arts (Mumbai), Puthu Yugam, National Museum of Denmark, Human Factors International and the Pune Biennale 2017 and exhibited work at the National Gallery of Modern Art (Mumbai) and the Bunkier Sztuki Gallery of Contemporary Art, among others.
Manas Malhotra has more than 12 years experience in film development, production, marketing and distribution in India. He has worked as Production Consultant at Fox Star Studios (India) and prior to that as Executive Producer with Bharatbala Productions. on development of feature films and production of several TV Commercials (including the highly acclaimed Jana Gana Mana campaign featuring some of the biggest musical maestros from across the country) and Music Videos (including a video for the Government of Gujarat to celebrate 50 years of statehood), a lot of them featuring Academy Award Winning Composer, A.R. Rahman. Manas is part of core team that started the Indian Film Festival of Los Angeles. He also executed one of the first ever screen writing labs in India, along with Mumbai Mantra (part of the Mahindra group). Manas recently started his own company, Banyan Tree Films, and has produced three documentaries titled, The Bollywood Project, Maidaan, & Up Down & Sideways. He recently released the highly acclaimed sports documentary Fire in Babylon in theatres across India. Manas has also produced a feature film Jugni, which released in theatres nationwide in January 2016. Manas has been the Co-Director of Film Bazaar, an annual film trade event organized by NFDC in Goa, between 2013 and 2016.
Awards & Screenings
- Yamagata International Documentary Film Festival (YIDFF) as part of New Asian Currents, Japan
- New Asian Currents Award for Excellence, & the Directors Guild of Japan Award
- Special invited screening in Shonai Japan
- Bozcaada International festival of ecological documentary (BIFED) in international competition, Turkey, Third prize in International Competition
- Mumbai academy of moving image (MAMI) in competition as part of India Gold
- Grand Jury Special Mention in India Gold
- Mostra, Sao paulo film festival, in competition, Brazil
- Film library as part of WOMEX, the world music expo, Poland
- Film South Asia (FSA) official selection, Nepal
- Bala Kailasam Memorial Award for innovative use of media for social change in the Documentary category, Chennai
- India Kaleidoscope, Museum of Moving Image, Official selection, New York
- MUVI Lisboa, Portugal Nov 9-12 Nov 15-20
- Odisseias Musicais - Palco Internacional - Prémio Do Júri (Musical Odyssey, International Competition, Jury Prize)
- IDFA, Panorama, Amsterdam
- Madurai Film festival, India
- Little Cinema International Festival, Kolkata, India